You Owe Me! 9-9-18
Bottom Line: A spirit of entitlement is self-centered and un-Christlike.
A. We watched this year’s BA DVD this past week.
1. Excellent job by all – acting and singing
2. Forgot how so many songs were stuck in my head!
* Rich spiritual praise songs
* But… “Bad to the Bone” – “How Bad Can I Be”
B. The song that’s the national anthem of the “Me Gen”
1. On Lord, It’s Hard to be Humble
2. Joke! But speaks to self-centeredness, ego, pride, etc.
C. It is the definition of entitlement!
1. Webster: state or condition of being entitled = right
* Govt. programs, benefits, or support
* Belief that one is deserving certain privileges
2. A special sense of deserving or being owed something
* Norms don’t apply – nor does patience & sacrifice
* Elevated sense of self – being served – well hidden
D. Examples of people with entitlement minds…
1. Gilderoy Lockhart, H P & the Chamber of Secrets
2. Pharisee & the Tax Collector – Luke 18:9-14
1. What does entitlement look like?
A. It is having expectations of others that you don’t have for yourself!
1. Dramatic reading of Matthew 18:21-25
2. Receiving but not giving!
B. Looking out for #1! Self!
1. Psychology & Child Entitlement sees three ways…
* Normal – build a healthy self-esteem
* Inflated – requires special privileges
* Compromised – the inability to expect basic rights
2. Selfishness is a balancing act – Romans 12:3
3. Four Lepers of 2 Kings 7 “Why sit” “not doing right”
C. Distorted view of indebtedness!
1. Who owes who?
2. Ego destroys grace! (Eph.2:8 = not deserved)
2. Why does a Christian ever feel entitled?
A. No sorrow for sin! Not saved from much!
B. No sense of family! No oneness in Christ!
C. No Spirit’s fire in their heart! 1 Thess.5:16-9
1. Be joyful always!
2. Pray continually!
3. Give thanks in all circumstances!
3. What does entitlement do to the church family?
A. Inactivity: no fuel to burn in their flame
B. Ignoring God’s prompting and God’s gifts
C. Defining everything by selfish expectations
D. Loss of joy, prayer, & thankfulness is the loss of peace!
1. With God, others, and self
2. What flame? Forget what it’s like to have one.
A. The Greatest Showman is the story of a man struggling with entitlement after a difficult childhood
1. Driven to succeed for wife & kids – We want you!
2. Pushes, ignores friends, risks, scandal, fire, friends…
3. Finally wakes up, sees family & friends as a treasure
B. Everything I ever want…need…is right in front of me!
C. Jesus says the same thing to us.
You Owe Me! 9-9-18