Godship: Until Death Do Us Unite 9-1-19
Bottom Line: Every relationship requires serving, and that includes our relationship with God.
A. Creating and building relationships is a challenge
1. Celebrities marry other celebrities – wealth & fame?
2. Sally’s four marriages: Had a good life. At Pearly Gates angel said, “See you first married a banker, then an actor, next a pastor, and lastly an undertaker. Why? Appropriate for a Christian woman?” “Oh yes is it,” she said. “It’s one for the money, two for the show, three to get ready and four to go!”
B. The original purpose for God’s people getting together was to support one another w/ loving relationships.
1. From Deut.6 to Mk 12 – Love God, love others
2. Get together & learn how to love – Jn connects both
C. Godship = a deep personal relationship with God
1. He desires it – Jesus said that in John 6:40; 44-45
2. God is actively seeking us – Phil.2:12-13
D. Churching is not seeking a relationship w/ God! It’s doing church.
E. If you truly want a personal relationship with God
1. The first step is SEEKING – never stops as we deepen
2. The second step is SERVING
F. All relationships involve serving one another
1. Three volunteers to help me develop the point
2. Questions before each point about serving
Question: What is something he did to show you how serious he was about you? (At the start of dating)
1. A relationship with God means serving because we are seeking!
A. It’s what you do when you want a relationship!
B. It’s identifying with the character of God! He gives!
C. Because of seeking: No regrets! No limits! Only joy!
Question: What does he do to make it clear he loves you?
2. A relationship with God means serving out of love!
A. There is a deeper understanding of thankfulness!
1. How can we not respond to God’s loving & giving?
2. Paul’s point in Rom.11:33-36, reason for 12:1
B. There is a deeper understanding of the character of God! Jn.3:16 He really does love me!
C. There is a deeper understanding of God as Dad! Lk 15
Question: What is something he does for you that you know he’d just as soon not do?
3. A relationship with God means complete devotion!
A. 1 Jn.4:7-12 – Rom.12:1 – 1 Jn 3:21-24
B. You can’t separate God from His people – If you’re not interested in knowing and loving God’s people, you’re really not interesting in God!
C. Jesus said: deny self – take up cross – follow Him
A. Our spiritual direction chart: connect, care, commit
B. Marriage is commitment level – covenant = until death us part…
C. Godship = covenant, but until death unites us
D. It is a process! Grow, learn, struggle but have a heart that says, “I need thee every hour, most gracious Lord”