The Centurion 6-9-19
Bottom Line: Even though he only had one line in the Bible, we can still learn something from him.
A. Our favorite family movie can be identified by one line. “Have fun storming the castle!”
B. Many famous movies can be identified by one line:
* Famous Movie Quotes
C. There is nothing bad or wrong about being known for only one line, as long as it’s a good line.
D. Mark 15:33-39, The Centurion’s one line!
1. Son of God, Mathew and Mark both say!
2. Luke 23:47 “Surely this was a righteous man!”
3. Supernatural evidence shouts his innocence!
E. Let’s talk to him in person: The Centurion
1. I notice that you seem to be looking for something?
2. Prior to the crucifixion of Jesus, how normal was that day?
3. When did you notice that something was different about this execution?
4. Why did it affect you so much?
5. As David: What did you learn from playing this role?
F. How ironic to have such a profound pronouncement from a Roman Centurion who helped kill Jesus!
1. What can we learn from him?
2. Three key words: Creation, Connection, & Character
1. He was declaring something about Creation!
A. Romans 1:20, “For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities – his eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so you are without excuse.”
B. God’s power in nature dwarfs man’s ingenuity!
C. What did he see?
1. Darkness from 9 AM until 3 PM – unheard of
2. Earthquake, rocks split, tombs open…
3. “When they saw all that had happened, they were terrified and exclaimed, ‘Surely he was the Son of God!’”
4. He saw the work of God! Do we?
2. He was declaring something about Connection!
A. “To see me is to see the Father” – to see God = Jesus
B. God had to allow it! The God described as the Father of the Prodigal Son in Luke 15!
C. God taught us how to love by letting go! Jesus taught us how to love by being obedient to His Father!
3. He was declaring something about Character!
A. He confessed what was on his heart!
B. It takes character to declare what needs to be said!
1. I love you! When it needs to be said!
2. I’m wrong! You’re wrong!
3. I believe! In God, Jesus, and the Word!
C. Character must always win over image!
A. The first non-Jewish disciple of Christ was a Roman Centurion. Cornelius in Acts 10.
B. Courageous man: Asked to be taught, listened to a Jewish fisherman, obeyed & was baptized, & his family!
C. If the Man on the cross appeared to be the Son of God, what did that empty tomb say about Him?