Stick Together 4-7-19
Bottom Line: We cannot function as a family of God if we are not united in Christ.
A. Even a negative lesson can be encouraging!
1. Last week’s lesson: negative but positive about us
2. Always easy to see short-comings, but we have a lot to be thankful for as a church family.
B. We are living in very negative times for our country.
1. Partisan politics over what’s good for the country
2. Negative revision of our history – plenty of bad times
C. There are a lot of bright spots in our history too!
1. Independence, Constitution, B of R, Amendments
2. Education, medicine, science, RR, flight, space
3. Music, literature, art, entertainment
4. ’67 Mustang, The Temptations, Ice Maker, “Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame bun”
D. Plenty of successes and things to be proud of…
1. When were we, as a nation, the most united?
2. Not July 4, 1776! When we were threatened! Attacked
E. Nothing destroys unity like complacency & self-interest
1. From 9/11 to today? Unity forgotten.
2. Even in churches across the country (20% per year)
F. Our history in the Restoration was originally a unity movement!
1. Tolerance & removal of creeds – Back to the Bible!
2. Interpretation methods became the new creed
G. Jesus’ plea & prayer for oneness destroyed by division
1. Unity forgotten for doctrine, exclusiveness, preferences, and race.
2. Unity must happen IN SPITE of these!
H. Let’s look at some principles of unity!
1. Not all and not the usual
2. Usually look at 1 Cor.12, Body, & John 17 Oneness
1. Unity is only as strong as the foundation on which it was built!
A. Our foundation is Jesus! 1 Cor.3:10-11
B. As a church family: Our Vision & Our Values
C. God’s foundation: Eph.2:19-22; Eph.4:2-6
2. Unity is only valid if there is togetherness!
A. Today we would call it teamwork!
B. Togetherness can’t be theory. It must be practice!
C. 1 Cor.12:25-26, Be close enough to know…
3. Unity fosters and requires tolerance!
A. Sinners accepting sinners – giving grace!
B. Unity isn’t uniformity – accept differences
C. Give room & time to learn and grow – Rom.12:10
1. Vs.16, associate!
2. 15:5-7, Prayer and Acceptance!
4. Unity is meaningless without unselfish sharing!
A. Ignored NT examples: Acts 2:42-47; Acts 4:32
B. 1 Thess. 5:13b – 15 – Care enough to help & give
C. Our contribution is sharing the load as a family!
A. Jericho: great victory for God – reason no spoils!
B. Achan’s poor choices – not just him, 36, family…
C. Unity = my part? Gal.3:27 “For as many…”