Seven Things Jesus Wants Us To Know (2) 11-10-19
Bottom Line: God wants us to be honest in our pursuit to please him and not just seek to impress others.
- Jesus said, Matthew 5:17-20
- Laying down a fundamental principle from God
- Built on what he said in vs.3-16; Principle #1
- Easy Truth #1: God loves seekers!
- Who? Vs.3-10 = tools to deal w/ life challenges!
- What your up against? Vs.11-12
- What we can be? Vs.13-14
- Principle #2: Be honest about pleasing God rather than impressing others. Vs.17-42
- Easy truth #2: Choose real over ritual!
- Pleasing God drives what & why we do what we do!
- Worried about what he was saying about the Law!
- I am fulfilling it!
- Don’t disrespect God’s law!
- Being right before God is more than what leaders show you!
- Honest seeking causes godly living not just religious appearances. (vs.3-10)
- It is about what we think and feel in our hearts
- It’s spirit over looks – a seeker spirit!
1. Be more than a non-murderer! Vs.21-26
A. Uncontrolled anger will be judged!
B. Treating others w/ contempt is not acceptable!
C. Call them “fool” gets “hell fire”! Why? Playing God!
D. Reconcile and solve problems = maturity = Which Beatitudes would you use?
2. Be more than a non-adulterer! Vs.27-30
A. Which Beatitudes? Pure in heart = no lust!
B. Hunger & thirst after righteousness = proactive fighting sin
C. Actually vs.31-32 is part of this = faithful & committed
3. Be a promise keeper! Vs.33-37
A. A covenant promise is sacred = true & honest
B. No need to swear! Your word is your bond!
C. Let yes be yes and no be no! Simple and true!
* Which Beatitude?
4. Be a giver as a way of life! Vs.38-42
A. Love and grace must prevail! Not “give again” complaint!
B. Tit for tat living isn’t the Jesus way!
C. Even when it’s not easy, strike cheek, take tunic, force a mile
D. Persecution? Be salt and light? Which Beatitudes?
A. The Chief Wizard Saruman seemed like a good guy but really worked for Sauron! (Lord of the Rings)
B. No one likes a fake or a fraud! Especially true for God!
C. Jesus declared God’s desire: be a real seeker and not like the self-righteous religious leaders. Own it and make it honest!