“Out of Sight, Out of Mind!” 8-26-18
Bottom Line: Just because others don’t see our sins, it doesn’t change the nature of sin in our life.
A. Why are we surprised that we really don’t know people like we think we do? A common refrain on the news!
1. Man steals a plane and crashes it…
2. Man murders his pregnant wife & 2 daughters…
3. School and church shootings…
B. Two huge changes in the last 3 decades or so…
1. Use of guns to commit violent crimes against innocent people! The guns were always here. What changed?
2. Reporting and coverage of these events. Shootings and murder are Big News now!
C. Why did things change? Values & morals changed!
1. In 1999, Columbine HS – 12 students & 1 teacher murdered, 21 injured – two shooters committed suicide
– Eric Harris & Dylan Klebold because famous
– Created debate, gun control, bullying, morals
2. Coverage gave notoriety: Suicide w/a statement – got the attention they never had. Became an option!
– Suicide with attention = crash a plane
– Suicide w/ anger and hate = take others w/ me
3. We never knew they had problems & struggles…
D. Maybe the most prevalent & dangerous kind of sin is secret sin.
1. We all have some, but we’re growing…
2. Some have secret sin that is quenching the spirit’s flame in their life – even if no one can tell!
E. Do you have secret sin in your life you need to remove?
1. Why is there so much secret sin in the world?
A. Evil is real, and evil destroys values!
1. Satan has been working on it since the garden times
2. It’s popular because evil sells! It’s appealing!
B. We accept its lies! The Big Five!
1. Sins is not that big a deal!
2. How can it be bad if it feels good!
3. My sin is not as bad as a lot of folks!
4. As long as it doesn’t hurt anyone else, it’s not that bad! (Both selfish and ignorant)
5. God doesn’t really see everything I’m doing!
C. Biggest unspoken lie: God doesn’t care about my secret sin! If others don’t see it, that’s all that matters!
1. WRONG! Truth is, we don’t care about God!
2. God is clear! Rom.3:23 sin! Rom.6:23 = death!
* Eccl.12:13-14; Rom.2:16; Matt.6:1-18
* Give, pray, & fast: “Your Father who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.”
2. What are secret sins? (Some to consider)
A. There are Secret Addiction Sins:
1. Pornography – far more available, not gender specific
2. Gambling – various kinds
3. Drugs & drinking – smoking to prescription drugs, etc.
B. There are Secret Action Sins:
1. Sex & unfaithfulness: cheating & adultery
2. Cheating: at work, play, in everyday life – IRS
3. Unkindness, meanness, ruthless, self-centered
4. Greed: wanting & spending – even if can’t afford it
C. There are Secret Apathy Sins: Don’t care when I should
1. Idolatry: Things more important than God
2. Fake faith: pretending to be dedicated & real, but…
3. Manipulation: Using church & religions to get something you want, not because of a love for God!
3. What do we need to know about our secret sins!
A. #1 – It’s not a secret to God!
B. It’s not okay just because no one knows about it!
C. It disrespects what Jesus did to pay for your sins!
D. It’s a burden that is damaging your character, your spiritual flame, and your relationship w/ others & God!
E. Secret sin is life-style sin, not a stumble!
1. Walking in the light is not just about what you do in public! It’s even more about what you do in private!
2. We all have sin! What is important is our attitude about our sin! Rationalizing & making excuses is wrong.
4. Fight the good fight of faith!
A. It is a faith fight! God must be first or not at all!
B. Seek God’s help! Talk, study, associate w/ His folks
C. Don’t do it alone! Confess, share, & find support!
D. A life-style change is a one-day-at-a-time victory!
E. Desire the peace of honesty, freedom from guilt, & the joy of a real relationship with God!
A. Remove the burden to reignite the flame!
B. What do you need to remove? Sin!
C. What do you need to choose? Jesus!
D. Every person in the NT who chose to follow Jesus did the same thing: hear, believe & confess, change, & were baptized as an act of covenant!
“Out of Sight, Out of Mind!” 8-26-18