Love One Another 3-3-19
Bottom Line: Jesus is our focus and loving one another is our purpose.
A. There are some things we don’t want to hear!
1. A celebrity we admire is really a jerk!
2. History has been taught inaccurately! (Columbus, Pocahontas, Betsy Ross, Paul Revere, etc.)
3. The personal part of the National Debt!
B. Spiritually? Our teaching and understanding about the church, it’s purpose, and it’s practices come more from Catholicism than the Bible! Two truths:
1. That doesn’t mean everything we do is wrong!
2. Most will agree intellectually as long as we don’t change anything!
C. This causes many disconnects & inconsistencies!
1. Sweeping pronouncements about purpose w/o scripture to back it up!
2. Insisting that we look just like the church in Acts 2:42-47 & 4:31-33 – when we don’t! Still do many things right!
D. Because of this, we struggle with two concepts…
1. Simplicity: complicated traditions are comforting
2. Authenticity: We’re not liars or dishonest, just not always open & willing to reveal ourselves.
* The real me knowing the real you?
* The fruit of the Spirit: conceptual or relational?
* The Spirit is saying our walk is validated by relationships with others!
E. Let’s be simple and real about the church!
1. Church is all of us focusing on ONE person – Jesus!
2. Church is all of us being driven by one purpose – love!
F. Struggle & problems arise when we ignore one or both.
1. What is more important than Jesus and love?
2. Why does that scare us and cause us to ignore them?
G. The #1 thing we do – we are – we grow in is love one another! That’s what God says to us over and over!
1. Listen to Jesus!
A. John 13:34-35, simple and real! Three simple questions
B. Why was it new? How did He love us? What can possibly do a better job of showing the world that we are His disciples?
2. Listen to Paul!
A. Romans 12:10 (9-13)
B. Romans 13:8 (8-10), only debt we owe!
C. 1 Corinthians 12:31 – 13:13, the great gift! The most excellent way! The greatest gift!
D. 1 Thessalonians 3:12-13
E. 1 Thessalonians 4:9, “Taught by God!”
3. Listen to Peter!
A. 1 Peter 1:22-23, “deeply from the heart”
B. 1 Peter 4:8-10, “Above all…”
A. What was the problem w/ the Prodigal son’s brother?
B. What about Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 5?
C. What about Simon the Sorcerer in Acts 8?
D. What is your problem?