Bottom Line: In Jesus, God has completely changed the definition of failure and rejection.
A. David had some incredible low points as King.
1. Bathsheba & the death of his son…
2. Amnon rapes Tamar – Absalom kills Amnon
3. Separation and mourning for David
4. Absalom’s conspiracy grows – David flees the city
5. Everyone is taking sides – broken loyalties everywhere
6. David is cursed and ridiculed by Shimei (2 Sam.16)
7. Kill him? No, he’s doing what the Lord told him!
B. In spirit, he called David a LOSER!
1. Man of blood – scoundrel – repaid for what he did!
2. It got worse before it got better – son killed
C. Every hero of the Bible experienced failure & rejection!
1. Adam & Eve’s epic failure…
2. Noah couldn’t get one non-family person to listen 100
3. Moses went from prince to a sheep herder
4. David lamented that he’d sinned since he was born!
5. FB post about Judas failing in spite of Jesus
6. Paul saw himself as the “Chief of sinners”! Why?
D. What has failure and rejection done to you?
1. Robbed you of your joy in Christ?
2. Caused you to stop talking to God?
3. You have nothing to be thankful for?
4. Put out the Spirit’s fire? 1 Thess.5:16-19
E. Failure & rejection can be life changing and destructive
1. Self-worth – negative & cynical – incapable – fearful
2. Kills hope! Kills relationships! Kills faith!
F. Three things to do with failure and rejection…
1. Chose the right standards to live by!
A. Worldly standards are shallow and unfulfilling
1. Solomon’s point in Eccl.
2. Jesus’ point, “What does it profit a man if…”
B. Worldly standards create anxiety – Mt.6 When?
C. Worldly standards create sin & death – Rom.1:18-25 & vs.28-32
D. Chose God’s standards: Rom.5:1-5; 8:1
2. Chose to redefine failure and rejection!
A. They can be tools to bring us closer to God!
1. Jesus in Mt.5 = persecution; James 1:2-4 Joy = mature
2. Growth through trials; 1 Peter 1:6-9
B. Redefine failure as faith!
1. Husband & wife in car; quiet after tiff, pass barnyard w/ mules, goats, & pigs; Sarcastic “Relatives?” “In-laws!”
2. Rom.8:31; Who? Vs.33; 34; 35; vs.35-39!
3. “Failure can become a weight, or it can give you wings.”
C. God can make failure a blessing! Moses! Paul in chains!
3. Chose goals for eternal life not just life!
A. The early Christians were failures and rejects!
B. Jesus comforted his apostles w/ eternal hope – Jn.14:1f
C. The only true failure is the failure to be prepared!
A. Michael Jordan and failure…
B. Paul and failure – 2 Cor.12:8-10
C. The best example of earthly failure being spiritual success is the empty tomb!