“I’ll Get You…” 9-23-18
Bottom Line: Holding a grudge is not something a child of God can do and still have a walk with God.
A. One of the great stories of Genesis is Jacob and Esau
1. Twins but Esau was actually the first born
2. Esau was an expert hunter & outdoors man. Jacob was quiet and indoors all the time.
3. Esau traded his birthright to Jacob for stew!
B. Sibling rivalry turns into serious division…
1. Dramatic reading of Genesis 27:18-41
2. NIV ends w/ “Esau held a grudge against Jacob…I will kill my brother Jacob”
3. The “blessing” confirmed #1 & the covenant w/ God
C. Grudge: from the old English word for grumble, complain, and howl!
1. “…a feeling of deep resentment or ill will” Webster
2. Usually towards someone who mistreated you or did something wrong to you.
D. Are you holding a grudge today?
1. Family? Parent or sibling who wronged you?
2. Bully at school or work – who abused or hurt you?
3. Boss or company that didn’t treat you right?
4. Government or agency didn’t do what you wanted?
5. Social injustice or unfair opportunity? Racism?
6. Self-righteous church folks who judged or ignored you?
E. For followers of Jesus, a grudge is more than resentment or ill will.
1. How would you justify holding a grudge?
2. Has someone treated you worse than Jesus was treated? Would even that give you the right?
F. Remembering and learning from a past experience is not holding a grudge!
1. Disliking and disagreeing is not a grudge!
2. Avoiding and keeping a distance is not holding a grudge!
3. Ill will is! It’s wanting them to hurt or to suffer
4. It is rejoicing when they lose or fail!
5. It’s seeking payback or revenge!
G. Jesus called us to love our enemies – not like them!
1. Love = 1 Cor.13:4-8, Wanting the best for others.
2. Even reaping what they sow is not a reason to gloat!
H. Three simple things to remember about grudges…
1. The burden of holding a grudge is a matter of choice!
A. Be responsible for the choices you make! Both then and now!
B. Don’t seek revenge! Romans 12:19
C. Seek resolution! Romans 12:17-18
1. Matt.5:23-24 we must take the initiative
2. After name calling, labels, & murder
2. Holding a grudge is playing with the fire of bitterness!
A. Any ambers can become a full fire again!
1. James 1:12-16 Contrast perseverance w/ evil desire
2. Building the wrong flame! Evil or Spirit?
B. Holding a grudge is a battle for your heart! Eph.4:31-32
C. Refusing to hold a grudge is choosing to follow Christ.
* Matt.5:43-48 – choosing the challenge
3. Remember that a grudge is the opposite of grace!
A. A grudge is the refusal to forgive!
B. A grudge is the difference between the prodigal son’s father and brother! God vs. the world!
C. Grace changes how we look at sin & grudges! (Rom.6)
A. Jacob feared Esau when he decided to return
B. Jacob took precautions, but Esau held no grudge
C. Gen.33:3-4; vs.10 “seeing you is like seeing the face of God” – a face w/o a grudge!
D. God doesn’t hold grudges when you run to Him!
“I’ll Get You…” 9-23-18