I Deserve It! 10-28-18
Bottom Line: An ungrateful heart is a place without the Spirit’s flame.
A. Even in ministry, it’s often a challenge to be grateful!
1. Story: “I hope you didn’t take it personally, Pastor,” said an embarrassed woman after church service, “when my husband walked out during your sermon?”
– “I did find it rather disconcerting,” the preacher said.
– “It’s not a reflection on you, sir,” insisted the lady, “Ralph has been walking in his sleep ever since he was a child.”
2. We aren’t allowed to be hypersensitive to “Preacher Jokes”!
B. Are you a grateful person?
1. Ben Carson, “I already won the lottery. I was born in America and I know the Lord.”
2. Do you think of yourself as being blessed? Always?
C. How can people with so much be so ungrateful, while others with so little feel totally grateful?
1. It’s not about net worth, but self-worth!
2. Are you trying to be self-made or God-made?
3. Gratitude is not about an amount but an attitude!
D. The attitude of gratitude! Cliché but true!
1. No ONE makes you ungrateful!
2. Circumstances don’t make you ungrateful!
3. It’s not a season or a celebration or the result of good time!
E. Ungratefulness is a choice and a Spirit Quencher!
1. We choose it – even if by default!
2. The Spirit can not dwell in an ungrateful heart!
G. Jesus tells us what it looks like – Matt.18:21-35
1. The Unmerciful Servant was an ungrateful servant!
2. An ungrateful heart is an unforgiving heart! No Spirit!
1. Where does ungratefulness come from?
A. Insensitivity to the goodness of God!
1. Blessing Blindness! Can’t or won’t see it!
2. How many blessings have you enjoyed just today?
B. Comparison and competition!
1. I’m not as good, as rich, as talented, as beautiful, etc.
2. Some one is always better, more, ahead = even churches – compare & compete? Satan loves it!
C. Ungratefulness comes from Spirit Quenchers!
1. Doubt, Guilt, Secret Sin, Poison Peers, Entitlement
Judging, Grudges, Failure & Rejection, Money
Legalism, and Death
2. They all feed ungratefulness and feed off ungratefulness!
2. Why is ungratefulness so terrible?
A. It’s Selfish!
1. I deserve this and more! Grace is unnecessary!
2. Twists priorities: Suggested quenchers, busy & overcommitted – both good ideas, but…PRIORITIES
3. Distraction works: rationale & justify priorities
4. A Christian is grateful for all things, but greater gratefulness is always connected to a sense of indebtedness.” We owe God our all. Rom.12:1
* Kingdom first: Matt.6:33; 1 Jn 4:7-12 Loved us
* “How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” 1 Jn 3:1
B. It’s Sinful! 2 Tim.3:1-5
C. It’s Spiteful! (mean & harmful)
1. Ungrateful people are not happy people!
2. Ungrateful people ignore God, the giver of all gifts!
3. Ungrateful people have nothing to look forward to!
A. Make a better choice! Choose gratitude!
B. See the grace of God in little things!
C. “All Things Bright and Beautiful” (#85)
D. Be grateful for a God who said you were more important than anything else in His creation!
I Deserve It! 10-28-18