HeartSight: Seven Practices of a Transformed Life 5-24-20Watch sermon on Facebook.
Bottom Line: Principles are meaningless if that are not turned into practices for life.
A. Saul was pursuing David’s 600 w/ an army of 3000 (1 Sam.24)
1. Hiding in a cave – King Saul went in to “relieve himself”
2. David’s men “God’s gift” – David snuck up & cut off corner of robe
3. David felt guilty – men dumbfounded – David rebuked them
“The Lord forbid that I should do such a thing to my master, the Lord’s anointed, or lift my hand against him; for he is the anointed of the Lord.” Vs.6
B. David was driven by principles – for now!
C. We often hear, “Be a man or woman of principles!”
1. Principles are foundations! Ingredients that make life’s recipes.
2. Mt.7:24-27, Jesus talked about a wise man & a foolish man
*Principles determined the success of their construction
*They had to construct something to show their principles…
D. HeartSight 2020 is seeing through the eyes of God!
1. We choose light = seeing God’s way!
2. This means we choose to change, to live by his principles!
E. Paul talked about God’s principles in Eph.4:17-24
1. Principle: We no longer live like the world, vs.17-19
2. Principle: Because of Christ, we put off our old self! Vs.20-22
3. Principle: Because of Christ, we are being made new in the attitude of our minds, vs.23
4. Principle: Because of Christ, we put on the new self, created to be like God, vs.24
*in true righteousness = pleasing & living for God
*holiness = separated for God
F. These are the principles not the practices.
G. Seven practices of a transformed life! Vs.25-32
1. What does it look like to be that new self in God?
2. Paul gives us practices that he will apply to areas of life in 5&6
H. The first practice of a transformed life (not priority but Paul’s order) is in vs.25 – Read
1. The Practice of Authenticity!
A. Define authenticity: being authentic, real, honest, true…
B. Paul tells us to practice being authentic by
1. Put off falsehood = “no more lies or pretense” – honest & open
2. Speak truthfully = no cover ups, no faking it, no pretending…
C. Notice with whom we are to practice this… (starts w/ self)
1. Neighbor = close, daily, Jesus said anyone in need!
2. Member of one body = family needs truth, the real me!
2. BOLO for Being Inauthentic!
A. Means NOT! Bogus, counterfeit, fake, mock, phony, sham, unreal
B. Signs and feelings of being inauthentic! How do I know?
1. Guilt, discomfort, turmoil due to lack of peace
2. Inconsistency = principles driven by comfort & convenience
3. Irresponsible – “out of sight, out of mind”
4. Extreme overcompensation = Unworthy or entitled!
5. Hopeless! Feels so natural seems impossible to change!
A. We all struggle w/ being authentic or real! Want to look good!
B. We struggle w/ image other have or we want them to have!
C. True authentic faith only comes from being at peace with God!
D. Paul’s struggle: Rom.7:21-25; Same solution works today!
Bible Study from: Seven Practices of a Transformed Life
Sunday, May 24, 2020
1. What is your favorite Bible story where someone was driven by their principles?
2. What does it mean to you to be a man or woman of principles?
3. When have you ever had to change your principles? Why?
4. Jesus told a story about two builders in Matthew 7:24-27. What do you think their construction principles where?
5. Paul wrote about some principles of being a disciple of Jesus. Read Ephesians 4:17-24 and list what those principles were.
6. How are we “created to be like God”? (vs.24)
7. What is the difference between a principle and a practice?
8. What does it mean to you to be authentic?
9. According to Ephesians 4:25, what does “being authentic” include?
10. What are some of the signs and feelings of being inauthentic?
11. “True authentic faith only comes from being at peace with God.” What does that mean and is it true? Why or why not?