HeartSight: Radical Romance 8-30-20
Bottom Line: God’s guidelines for relationships will make any marriage great.
A. What was your most romantic evening as a married couple? Can you remember back that far?
1. What made it romantic? Setting, mood, music, etc.
2. Or are you thinking, “What’s romance?”
B. Blind dates are not romantic – or even fun sometimes!
1. No connection or feelings yet.
2. What about a blind wedding? Arranged? Romantic?
C. Radical romance is not wild or expensive dates & gifts
1. Radical romance is choosing to love
2. How important is that to a relationship? Choosing = repeat!
D. The greatest and most read passage on marriage is Ephesians 5:22-33. Sermons, classes, & weddings and more…
1. May be over-read and under-analyzed.
2. Culturally hard to identify with and overly spiritual to most.
E. Are you overwhelmed by Eph.5:22-33? Be honest!
1. “Wives submit to your husbands as to the Lord”? Wow!
2. “Husbands love your wife just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her”? Wow!
F. Discussion with Donna about this passage:
1. What have you always assumed it meant to submit to your husband?
2. Have you struggled with what Paul is telling us here?
3. What was the most challenging time for you as a wife and mother?
G. What does this passage really teach us?
1. Context drives the meaning!
A. This is a continuation of Paul’s principles & practices teaching method!
1. After 1-4:16 about God’s love & grace – our love & grace
* warning, 4:17-19
2. Principles of Transformation = becoming – 4:20-24
3. Seven Practices of a Transformed Life, 4:25-32
4. Principles of Transformation, 5:1-2; 8-21 Four “Be’s”
*Be light, be wise, be Spirit filled, & be submissive
B. These drive everything he says about spouse, children, and slave & master, 5:22 – 6:9 as well as 5:1-2
C. A godly marriage should be a godly relationship!
2. Context drives what he says to wives! Vs.22-24
A. They define ‘submit” and “head”
B. Like submitting to Jesus! Vs.21 Choice! Savior!
C. Heart of service and a heart of spiritual focus!
3. Context drives what he says to husbands! Vs.25-30
A. Principles define the practice – all four
B. Love like Jesus – that would be an amazing husband!
C. Sacrifice to help her be holy – God is first!
C. Elevate her above yourself! Love self? Take care of self?
1. An explanation any man can understand = like self!
2. “for we are members of his body” = togetherness!
Conclusion: Weird ending, vs.31-32
A. God’s intent for marriage & for his church, love & unity
B. Oneness was first the trinity, then in marriage then church!
C. Why close w/ vs.33? Wife respect? She will love what she respects! Part of radical romance = choosing love!
D. Did God intend for marriage to help us see God better?
Bible Study for Sunday, August 30, 2020
HeartSight – Radical Romance
1. What would be the perfect romantic evening for you? What does it say about your age and your relationship?
2. Radical romance is ______________________________________!
3. Why is the classic marriage passage in Ephesians 5:22-33, so difficult for most of us to identify with? Or is it?
4. What does it mean for wives to submit to their husbands as to the Lord? Remember when “obey” was in all wedding vows for wives?
5. Does it change the meaning any when you apply the four principles of a godly relationship in verses 8-21?
6. How is the husband the head of his wife like Jesus is the head of the church? Is it about authority or spiritual responsibility? Other options?
7. How can a husband love their wife the way Jesus loved the church?
8. Apply the principles of verse 8-21 and describe how a husband takes care of his wife?
9. Why does Paul mix marriage with the purpose of the church? What is the connection? What do they share?
10. Why do you think Paul ended this section with the call for wives to respect their husbands? Why not love?