Encourage One Another 3-24-19
Bottom Line: We can not grow in Christ without caring about the spiritual growth of others.
A. Have you ever resented someone else’s good fortune?
1. Win? Promotion? Success? Gift? Wealth? Talents?
2. Small children cry at some else’s birthday party!
3. Plots of many movies & books: Viking, Thor, Gladiator
4. The older brother of the Prodigal…
B. A principle of maturity: Maturity is being able to be happy for someone else!
1. No resentment, jealousy, or selfishness! Just happy!
2. Share their joy w/o thinking “What about me?”
C. Spiritual maturity is seen in our ability to think about others and want what is best for them.
1. Paul’s challenge in Philippians 2:1-5
2. That is what love does. 1 Peter 4:8
D. Satan’s greatest victory may be how he changed our expectations about church – especially the assembly.
1. He turned a giving opportunity into a receiving expectation! He reversed Jesus’ teaching! Acts 20:35
2. Having an experience over a responsibility!
E. Our values reflect biblical truths
1. Love, equip, support, & celebrate = other oriented
2. It’s what we do, what we share, & what we need
F. Be with one another! Why? To encourage & admonish!
1. A simple & clear command and purpose!
2. Help one another grow spiritually!
G. Be a builder, a giver, & a supporter! How?
1. Replace judging with edification!
A. Comparison & competition are not for the mature!
B. Criticism & judging destroy! Love builds!
C. Paul confronted this early in Rome – Rom.14:1-18
* Key verse: 19
2. Use God-given tools to build others up!
A. Eph. 5:19 & Col.3:16
B. It’s not about what they don’t authorize but what they command! God’s expectations!
3. Remind one another about God’s glorious plan!
A. 1 Thess.4:13-18
B. 1 Thess.5:10-11
4. Daily help one another fight sin!
A. Hebrews 3:12-14
B. All sin is harder to defeat alone! James 5:19
5. Use our togetherness time as an opportunity to build one another up in the Lord!
A. Heb.10:24-25, Don’t miss it!
B. Spur one another on to love and good deeds!
C. Increase it with time!
A. Let me encourage you!
B. You are important to God! God loves you! Jesus paid the price for your sins!
C. 1 Thess.5:12-21 Challenge! Share vs.23-24 Paul’s prayer